Monday, November 16, 2015

Whatever Is Honest

This is the third portion of the “Positive Mindset” Bible study. To start at the beginning click here or click here to read Part Two – Whatever Is True.
All scriptures listed are found in the King James Version unless otherwise noted.

I have always skimmed over this scripture and chalked up “whatever is honest” as something good and positive to dwell on but never really thought about it too seriously. It coincides with whatever is true because anything honest is anything that is not a lie. But when I decided to look at each virtue individually I found myself a little perplexed. What does “whatsoever is honest” really mean? When I look at my situation and am honest about it I don’t always find it uplifting unless of course I pair it with God’s promises. Money may be a little tight but God said He would supply all my need. A relationship may be on the rocks but God said He would restore. There may be a circumstance that seems impossible to get out of but God said He would deliver. I may feel unloved and forgotten but God says He loves me and is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. When I am honest about my situation but I am also honest about what God can and will do there is positivity to be found.

Psalm-33-8

But I also discovered something very interesting.

The meaning of the Greek word for honest as found in Philippians 4:8 is “worthy of respect”. To respect is to hold in esteem, honor - show reverence to. Reverence is a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration. When we look at it this way, it’s not what is worthy of respect but Who is worthy of respect. Think on Him who is worthy to hold in esteem and honor. Show reverence and stand in awe of He who holds our world in His hands. If you take the time to dwell on the truth of who He is, what His word says and all of what His promises are for His people, this is so easy to do. How can I not stand in awe of a God who is not overwhelmed or defeated by my circumstances? I can only show admiration and praise for a God who says nothing is impossible for Him. And so I find when I think of what is honest, what is worthy of respect, who is worthy of my praise, I find myself lost in sincere worship for Him.

To find yourself lost in sincere worship for the Holy One, the Creator and Savior of the world is to find yourself in the throne room of the King of kings. When Jesus died on the cross 2,000 years ago the veil that separated the holy of holies, which before only the High Priest could go, was torn away now giving an open invitation to all of His people. We have the right and the privilege of children of God to approach Him in worship. And this intimate encounter, a little heaven on earth, we find that all other things, negative circumstances included, fade away. In His presence I find my rightful place. In His presence all things are made new. In His presence I can see and know that He has it all under control.

Isaiah-25-1

As King David says “Let all the earth fear the Lord: let all the inhabitants stand in awe of him.” (Psalm 33:8) but I can’t just stand in awe for in my awe I can’t help but exalt His name like Isaiah. “O Lord, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.” (Isaiah 25:1). His counsels of faithfulness and truth bring forth the desire to exalt and praise His name.

So whatsoever things are honest? God in all His truth is worthy of all respect, reverence and praise. By acknowledging and thinking upon what is true we now find ourselves filled with hearts of praise which is a positive place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment