Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Positive Mindset in a Negative World

Positive-Mindset

Our world is quickly changing and as we watch the principles of God slowly fade away with each court ruling, political debate, protests and controversy it can be hard to be positive. And if we avert our eyes from the headlines and focus only on our small world sometimes we find that our life circumstances are equally as negative. Depleted finances, lost loved ones, broken marriages, rebellious or hurting children, health and job issues can cause us to question God’s faithfulness and love. I know for me personally certain life circumstances were very stressful and causing me to feel negative and in feeling negative, I was acting negative. And because I was consumed by my negative thinking I had somehow forgotten that while my life was not all I would have chosen for it to be in the present moment, God is equally present in the bad times as He is present in the good. My victory, that I was so desperately praying for, was not necessarily in my negative situation being removed but by overcoming with a positive mindset. I was reminded that I “overcome by the word of my testimony” (Rev. 12:11) and through encouraging myself in the Lord.


An example of this is given to us in I Samuel 30. David and his men had returned from battle to find their hometown burned to the ground, their wives and children kidnapped and their possessions gone. It was, to say the least, a very negative situation. For David it became even more so for the distraught men in his army, looking for someone to blame and punish, wanted to stone him as a result. But the Bible tells us that “David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.” As a result, God in turn encouraged and helped David to overtake the Amalekites and recover every family member and possession that was stolen. Talk about a complete turn around and all because David, despite his circumstance, chose to encourage himself in the Lord.

How did he do this exactly? We find the answer in Psalms 77 where David, once again in another overwhelming situation, chose to claim spiritual victory by focusing on his God, His victories and His promises. Verse six tells us “And I said this is my infirmity; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings. Thy way, O God, is in the sanctuary: who is so great a God as our God?”
 
If we have been serving God for any period of time, we have a testimony to remember and reflect upon, yet even so God has also given us the keys to have a positive mindset in Philippians 4:8 (KJV): “Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

philippians-4-8

And we quickly see that there is victory in this and that God will give us the strength to do so in Philippians 4:11-13 (AMP): “Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want. I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency]. Personally I find this scripture, when read context, so powerful. Especially when I read it in the Amplified Version which breaks it all down. This alone is very encouraging!

So, we know in order to think positive we should dwell on what is true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report and that if there be any virtue or praise to think on these things. It’s quite a list but sometimes a negative mindset and being focused on your situation can cause us to feel that our world offers very little in these categories. But there is hope for we should find ourselves challenged to seek for these in the word of God. I know, though it took some time, I eventually did and what I found was a gold mine of positivity that uplifted my heart and soul and left me rejoicing in the Lord and all of His goodness. And I am looking forward to digging deeper into God’s Word to pull out those gold nuggets to share with you! It turns out that it is possible to have a positive mindset in a negative world.

Click here for Part Two - Whatever is True.

No comments:

Post a Comment